Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bead Journal Project - my May page

I'm calling it "Severe Storm Warning" because, in the first week of May, we had three separate official Weather Service Warnings, each of which involved suspected tornado touchdowns within one county of where I live. One of these was confirmed in my own county, a Force 1 which did in a barn roof!


I didn't have beads for everything so I couched Kreinik #16 braid for the spirals around the funnel cloud to infer rotation, and stem stitch in DMC floss (four strands) in tan to show dirt being stirred up by the cloud where it touched down.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Carol, you just took me back to my youth when I lived in Minnesota and a time when I dropped to my belly in a ditch as a tornado blasted through the farm field nearby and spattered a tree full of leaves onto a newly painted 2-story farm house, turning it from white to green in an instant. That same tornado picked up a large motor launch and placed it in the fork of a tree. Yikes... haven't recalled that day in a long time. What a vivid piece you've created to bring back memories in such a forceful way. Congratulations! And may they never touch down in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool!! I distinctly remember the day of the Xenia tornado in 1974 - my hometown, Eaton, is on route 35 west of Xenia; one of those twisters lopped off the top of the pine tree in front of our house, and it came crashing down while mom and I watched - there weren't any sirens going off, so we didn't go to the basement.

    If I ever get back out west, I want to storm chase :)

    ReplyDelete