Friday, April 9, 2010

Bead Journal Project - my March page

Better late than never, but then, can you just picture seed beads flying in every direction as I hacked and coughed my way through that month-long viral attack?

I KNEW what I wanted to do and it wasn't the usual green is for St. Patrick's Day... I don't really relate to St. Patrick, having very little to no Irish heritage. But I am one-quarter Welsh and March 1 is St. David's Feast Day in Wales. And one of the symbols of Wales is the daffodil (St. David's symbol is the leek but somehow, beading a leek didn't appeal to me. Besides, the Welsh have adopted the daffodil as a surrogate for the leek, since daffodils are in bloom in March in Wales and the word for daffodil in Welsh is Cenhinen Pedr (literally "Peter's leek")! 

Another reason for daffodils is that March 13 in this county is Daffodil Day for survivors of cancer. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PAR/PAR_4_Daffodil_Days.asp And I have several friends who are dealing with that disease.  So daffodil it is.

Another symbol of Wales is St. David's flag: a yellow cross on a black field. Not the red dragon one usually associates with Wales but still it makes appearances in parades and celebrations. If I had planned ahead, I would have put the yellow cross on the fabric first but I wasn't thinking (I blame that on my cold again). So I had to deal with it AFTER the daffodil was beaded. And so it had to go off center... but that's OK. I prefer asymmetry.

May I present Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant

2 comments:

  1. This is an "OH WOW!!!!" piece for me.... The off-center ribbon/flag/cross compliments the organic beauty of your daffodil so beautifully! Robin A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece is so dramatic that I forgot to mention how much I like reading about Wales, the flag, and the leek/daffodil connections! Robin A.

    ReplyDelete