Sunday, April 5, 2015

WIPocalypse 2015, April 4 - The Full Pink Moon

The question for this month is: "Which specialty stitches do you love doing on projects?  Which do you dread?"

Well, isn't hard to answer which I dread --- it's French Knots! It's not that I can't do them but I do have issues with how regular they look and so, when possible, I substitute beads!

As for which I love? Well, that's another thing altogether. I'm not a big fan of most specialty stitches. I willingly do backstitch (after all, I like blackwork), but I grumble if there are more than one color for the backstitching. I don't mind Algerian Eyes and similar stitches but I don't particularly like Lazy Daisies, chain stitching, etc. Again, it's not that I "can't" do these --- I just can't seem to do them consistently so that all are the same size or width or going in the same direction or... So maybe I don't really "love" any stitches, speciality or otherwise!

For me, it's the process of stitching that gives me pleasure, and any stitch that makes that process less than soothing goes in my "Oh, NO! Another &*&%$# stitch!" chart!

Last month, my goals included finishing at least one of the "Spawn" in Save the stitches" (DONE!) and the March block for the Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project (DONE!). I also got in a few blocks on the "Save the Stitches" blackwork piece (Blocks 10, 11, 12 and part of 13).

So, as goals go, I didn't do too badly. But... there was a lot of slacking off and I know I could have gotten further if I had only set my mind to it. Trouble is, I don't feel like stitching half the time and I'm not really eager to push myself for fear that will turn me off altogether. Last time EVER I will take on two BAPs at the same time, let alone two or more of the same color ways (where did all that blue, green and black come from anyway?): my motivation hits bottom with all that "sameness"!

In the coming month, I think I will continue with similar goals ---2 nights a week on each of "Spawn" (work on outline for "Jan"), "Save the Stitches" (at least through Block 15...) and Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project block.





No comments:

Post a Comment