Friday, September 9, 2011

WIP myself into shape, Week 36

Well, I did stitch some --- took a break on that ghastly "blue-grey" and put in the cream (which is really hard to see on this fabric), and found two more one-stitch errors! AAARGH. And the fabric looks like it was skimpily cut as well --- only an inch to spare on the left side! And my Q-snaps are NOT happy with so little fabric to hold on to--- tension is a real issue!

This may be a kitting trend to save money  (this is the second kit company I have found shorting me on fabric in the last year...) but I do NOT like it! I mean, they SAY the picture as 10 by 12 so why do they supply a SQUARE of fabric --- more than ample margins top and bottom, skimpy at the sides! From now on, I'm re-kitting with my own fabrics.


 My September Bargello Club piece arrived Tuesday (I need to kit that out) and I still have to stitch my BJP for September...

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about the fabric woes! So frustrating, isn't it? I can see why you got tired ot the blue-gray, too. Can't remember if you posted a photo of the chart cover, but I'd like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks great, but I hear you on the fabric... I've only ever bought 1 kit, and it was fine, materials-wise, but I have heard a LOT of people say they just automatically swap out the fabric, either because of quality, type, or size issues... And if the kits are assembled outside the US, you may be coming across issues with conversion from the metric size... Keep on, it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous. I have to add that I am really sorry about the fabric shortage. What a bummer but it is doable yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you check back to week 28 http://thatyankstitches.multiply.com/journal/item/199/WIP_myself_into_shape_Week_28, you can see the cover in the first photo of my project bag stash --- it's the one at the top. If I remember, I'll try to take a better photo and add it to this blog later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is doable, but it's really frustrating since I can't attache the edges of the fabric to the Q-snaps and still stitch to the picture's edge... just not enough fabric to grab on to and still have fabric surface free to stitch on so the tension is very wobbly at best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, try sewing some strips of muslin or even scrap linen or aida fabric to the sides that are too narrow.

    ReplyDelete