Sunday, January 27, 2013

WIPocalypse 2013 - January 26


This month's "theme" is to introduce myself, my projects, and any goals I have for the year.

Born in New Jersey, I grew up in Southeastern Ohio and attended university at Bowling Green State University (B.Sci.  in biological science, 1964), University of Southern California (M. Sci. in biological science, 1967) and University of Florida (Ph. D. in zoology, 1971). I worked in environmental consulting for a little more than a decade and then seven years as an instructor in biological science at various community colleges in California and Texas. I basically "retired" when we moved to London in 1992;  Beijing followed (1996) and then Saudi Arabia (1998), before returning to NW Ohio in 2002. I live with my husband and three Bombay cats.  I love to read (mystery, science fiction, history) although I haven't had much time for books of late, and stitch (have done crewel, currently experimenting with free embroidery and needlepoint, but blackwork and cross stitch are my main genres; I have been known to knit! and really really want to learn how to quilt). 

I have made some progress since the last WIPocolypse check-in.  I finished 
  •  the Michael Powell "Home Sampler" 
  •  my Bead Journal Project pieces from 2011 as a wall hanging
  •  a sock and a mitten from Janet Perry's "Mittens & Mini-Socks" online class - these were called "Jewel" 
  •  my January Crazy Quilt Journal Project piece
  •  my January Bead Journal Project piece
  •  Stitch 49 in Take a Stitch Tuesday - Knotted Feather Stitch  
  •  lesson 11 in Janet Perry's "Color Through the Ages" (Art Deco)


My current WIP is "Red Thai Mandala" by Elizabeth Almond, started December 30, 2102 and at this stage of completion as of January 26:



The basic block for my February Crazy Quilt Journal Project is ready to stitch and embellish:



I know what I want to do for the February Bead Journal Project as well (a pink and white butterfly on red-and-white fabric…) but haven't decided on the fabric yet.

Other 2013 plans include:

- Finish up Janet Perry's "Color Through the Ages" online class (one lesson to go) and Janet Perry's "Mittens & Mini-Socks" online class (3 to go?)
- Start Sharon B's online classes "Encrusted Crazy Quilting Class 2013" and "Sumptuous Surfaces Embroidery Class"
- Participate in Sharon B's Take a Stitch Tuesday, the Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2013 and the Bead Journal Project

I want to finish up my 2010 and 2012 Bead Journal pieces and my Take A Stitch Tuesday 2012 pieces as either wall hangings or books… and I signed up for at least three online-classes in quilting through Craftsy, but all of these may well be shoved to the back burner since I am also webmaster for our local quilt guild and "detail angel" for the 2013 Bead Journal Project, to say nothing of community leader for "Stitcher's Niche" in iVillage. This means I will be on the computer a lot, which will make it difficult to compete my over-all goal of "reconnecting" with my cross stitching, which was neglected in 2012 in favor of needlepoint, crazy quilting, beading and freehand embroidery!





No comments:

Post a Comment