Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bead Journal Project 2014 - January

In the Bead Journal Project 2014, I mean to stitch an ATC-sized piece each month, jportraying what's going on around me. I don't know how long this ambition will last but that is my intent.

Meet "Snowy", the owl. He's a January surprise! 


There have actually been real Snowy Owl sightings around here in the past months, migrating out of Canada in search of food, but this "Snowy" is journaling near record snow amounts for the month of January (and the month isn't over yet), record and near-record low temperatures, wind chills more typical of North Dakota than NW Ohio, and a three-day Level Three winter advisory (which, in NW Ohio, means it's illegal to be driving unless you are emergency personnel). Needless to say, "Snowy" was a little surprised! And so was I! So I beaded him as he hugged himself with his aquamarine wings (the color reminiscent of glacial ice I saw on our Alaskan cruise back in 2008) in a vain attempt to keep warm.

his is my first attempt at beading Lacey's Stiff Stuff and it's going to take some getting used to. I couldn't feel where the needle was being placed so I stuck myself too many times to mention, and, by the time the piece was almost completely beaded, the "stuff: wasn't so very "stiff" any more. In all, however, I think I will like it for making stand-alone pieces that could be appliqued to another piece of fabric in future if I so wanted. 

"Snowy" is ATC-sized and all backstitched seed beads (with the exception of two silver beads for his pupils, the "snow" button (a scrapbooking finding) and the feathers). I made him into an ornament with a felt backing (oops-- should have attached the feathers BEFORE I attached the hanger as they would look better in front of the ribbon. But by the time I figured that out, the backing was glued on so... lesson learned). 


No comments:

Post a Comment