Thursday, August 18, 2016

Week Thirty-Three - August 18, 2016 and WIPocalypse

The WIPocalypse topic for discussion this month is “Have you ever read any fictional books that involve embroidery?  If so, give us some recommendations…”

Yes, I have although I hate to say that most needlework-related fiction uses knitting - and a few years ago, quilting - as a theme more than traditional embroidery. In fact there is even a sewing circle-themed mystery series… But I digress.

There are three needlework authors in my “library” and I have read many of the books listed here. 

I can highly recommend the Needlecraft Mystery Series, all in paperback (a few in hardcover) by Monica Ferris (pseud. of Mary Pulver Kufeld), set in Minnesota.  The books include clever (albeit cozy) plots and well-developed characters and includes needlework patterns. (Note, even she has gone over to the “dark side", with her latest boom a knitting themed one!)
  • 1.  Crewel World (Berkley, 1999)
  • 2.  Framed in Lace (Berkley, 1999)
  • 3.  Stitch in Time, A (Berkley, 2000)
  • 4.  Unraveled Sleeve (Berkley, 2001)
  • 5.  A Murderous Yarn  (Berkley, 2002)
  • 6.  Hanging by a Thread (Berkley, 2003)
  • 7.  Cutwork (Berkley, 2004)
  • 8.  Crewel Yule (Berkley, 2004)
  • 9.  Embroidered Truths (Berkley, 2005)
  • 10.  Sins and Needles (Berkley, 2006)
  • 11.  Knitting Bones (Berkley, 2008)
  • 12.  Thai Die (Berkley, 2008)
  • 13.  Blackwork (Berkley, 2009)
  • 14.  Buttons and Bones (Berkley, 2010)
  • 15.  Threadbare (Berkley, 2011)
  • 16.  And Then You Dye (Berkley, Dec. 2012)
  • 17.  Drowning Spool (Berkley, 2014)
  • 18. Darned if Your Do (2015)
  • 19. Knit Your Own Murder (2016)

I am a little less prone to recommend the two series I have on my iPad. The first is The Embroidery Mystery Series by  Amanda  Lee (aka Rebecca York), set in Oregon. To be honest, I can't remember if I have read any of these even though they are in my "read" file":
  • 1.  The Quick and the Thread (Signet,2010)
  • 2.  Stitch Me Deadly (Signet, Feb., 2011)
  • 3.  Thread Reckoning (Signet, 2011)
  • 4.  The Long Stitch Good Night (Signet, 2012)
  • 5.  Thread on Arrival (Signet, 2012)
  • 6.  Cross-Stitch Before Dying (Signet, 2013)
  • 7. Thread End (2014)
  • 8. Wicked Stitch (2015)
  • 9. The Stitching Hour (2015)
  • 10. Better Off Thread (coming Dec. 2016)

The other series I have on my iPad is the Mainly Needlepoint Mystery Series by Lea Wait, a cozy series set in Maine. I have the first three and have read the first one.  
  • Twisted Threads (2015)
  • Threads of Evidence (2015)
  • Thread and Gone (2015)
  • Dangling by a Thread  (2016)
  • Tightening the Threads  (coming in 2017)

Last month, I had low expectations for my stitching this month. My mojo was gone and I was struggling to put in even minimal stitching. However, I DID manage to complete the "Roll Your Own" mandala series (Ironically, on the day the county fair I had been aiming for ended! Maybe next year!

Instead of moving on to the "Save the Stitches" blackwork sampler, I took my own advice and started something new. Even though it has a deadline of early September, I took on the Bothy Threads "Two by Two" birth sampler and, even though it is full of fudging because of counting errors, I am making some progress on it:





It is a break from all that blue and that, along with stitching on 14ct AIDA, helps. I wouldn't call it a cure for my lack of stitchery mojo but maybe it's a start...

So next month, my plan is to have finished this piece and send it on to our niece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment