Saturday, December 26, 2015

WIPocalypse, December 2015 - the Cold Full Moon (and Christmas Day, 2015!)

The final WIPocalypse post of the year has the theme "Recap your accomplishments for the year! "

This will be easy because this is one of the least productive stitchery years I have had in ages. Travel, a series of nasty respiratory infections and just general malaise pretty much dominated...

At the end of 2014, I set the following goal: "I hope to make 2015 a year of catching up and maybe even re-organizing my crafting space (which is currently a hot mess!). So my stitching goals are to finish what I call the "makable WIPs": the "Roll Your Own" mandalas and the blackwork sampler;  and keep up with Take a Stitch Tuesday and Crazy Quilt Journal Project. If I feel motivated, Bead Journal Project will also take it's place in this list. I will limit my goals to these, and if anything else inserts itself into my schedule, I should have the time to work on it..."

Well, I didn't do so awfully well. Let's go over this goal, point by point:

1.The "Roll Your Own Mandalas": "Bride" (the third of nine mandalas) had five colors' done and a sixth 25% complete P1010004.jpg and since January 5, I have completed "Bride" and three more mandalas ("Spawn" which consisted of "Jan", "Cindy " and "Marcia") and nearly finished the seventh, "Revenge", and the piece now looks like this:



Two to go. Not even close to a finish so that is a NOT DONE.

 2. The "Save The Stitches" blackwork sampler: On January 5, I had the outline of the sampler complete and 9 of the "blocks" "filled" Completed Outline.jpg and since that date, I have completed three more blocks Blocks 1 - 13.jpg. Not touched since April 9, 2015! Again, a NOT DONE 

3. Take a Stitch Tuesday: I didn't stitch TAST in 2015 --- it started over from the beginning and I stopped at that point. NOT ATTEMPTED

4. Crazy Quilt Journal Project: I merged this with the Bead Journal Project and completed all 12 beaded crazy blocks CQJP2015: COMPLETED (but some assembly required)

Other projects stitched on during the year were: 
  • Two Habitat for Humanity blocks for a friend's EGA charitable drive (April 16): COMPLETED
  • An embroidered quilt block for a memorial quilt for a dear friend (May 15): COMPLETED
  • A plastic Canvas butterfly ornament for a swap, started in September (September 17)  and mailed September 22. COMPLETED 
  • Three placemats for the quilt guild Meals on Wheels holiday drive, started in August (August 17) and handed in November 5, 2015: COMPLETED
I also did some border stitching on my "traveling" needlepoint project "Palm Tree Elegance", starting in mid June (June 18) and continuing, off and on, through October (October 15): NOT COMPLETE (by a long shot!)

Dare I even set goals for 2016? I know of at least one three-week road trip in the coming year (although the exact dates aren't set) so that means I may get in more stitching on the traveling needlepoint. Otherwise, it seems that there are those two massive WIPS staring me in the face: "Roll Your Own" and "Save the Stitches". Should I continue plodding along on "Roll Your Own" in hopes of having it ready for the county fair mid-summer 2016, knowing that a single mandala has been taking me, on the average, four months to complete? Or should I take a break  set up a rotation with "Save the Stitches", aiming for both to be ready for the 2017 fair? Or maybe start something else altogether and let these two BAPS go the way of UFO-dom? 





No comments:

Post a Comment