Sunday, March 18, 2012

A non-stitching post (!!!) and a "warning"...

Went to that concert and a) they aren't Chinese --- well not exactly. They are of Chinese origin but most were western raised (and many were western-born!). The group is based in NYC, not China, not even Taipei! and b) they aren't purely classical Chinese dance. In fact, they are an "arm" of Falun Gong (or Falun DaFa) which became apparent when they started doing little dance pieces about persecution of that sect (or cult, if you buy the People's Republic of China's POV). If I had been a little more vigilant, I might have noticed that their sponsor was Falun DaFa, which is the NYC version of Falun Gong... and when I googled the group, I found that they were actually a part of that sect.

OK, now the dancers are skilled and some of their routines were beautiful but about half-way into the piece, I began to feel like I was being preached at. I do not LIKE being preached at, ESPECIALLY when they cloak the preaching in song and dance and aren't up front with their intent! I almost laughed out loud when they stated, in a narrative, half-way through, that they performed all over the world but weren't allowed to perform in China. Well, no wonder!

So, if you want to see real Chinese classical dance, look for a group based in China (we saw one in Shanghai that was just FABULOUS). If you, like I, go to concerts to be culturally expanded but NOT to be converted to a specific religion or POV, avoid Shen Yun.

End of warning... Even though the tickets were free, I wish I'd stayed home and stitched!

No comments:

Post a Comment