Saturday, June 16, 2012

2012: A Year of Challenges - week 24

Yesterday was the start of this month's International Hermit & Stitch Weekend and I stitched. Oh, man did I STITCH!

And itt's finished! It's FINALLY finished!
OK, now it needs to be pressed (it got really really crumpled when I had to finish the beading in hand --- didn't have q-snaps or a frame large enough and those four center bells were horrid. Hind sight being 20-20, I should have done the center first but...) and then to the framer. Registration for the fair is between July 2 and 14  and the piece needs to be at the fair on July 28 so it should be ready in plenty of time. It will qualify for the "Special" contest - ""'Twas the Night before Christmas" in wall hanging or framed picture, although, since all needlework is now lumped in that one category, the competition will be stiff with quilters and all entering the same category. Now wondering if all this is worth the framing costs and entry fee of $24...

The categories have increased in number this year: One can enter in Framed Pictures or Framed Samplers one in each of needlepoint, stamped, crewel, counted cross stitch (11 ct, 14 ct, 16 or 18 ct, 25 ct, 28 ct, 30 ct,32 ct, 35 - 36 ct, 40 ct or higher) and in Framed Pictures on in counted cross stitch set, any count. In addition, there is the Hand-embroidered Wall Hanging category,  and the category for sets of three Christmas ornaments! Wouldn't you know, with all the stitching I've done this year, I can only enter one piece in all of these --- "Sewing with Mama" would work for Framed Picture, Counted Cross Stitch, 14ct. I did finish "Purrfect" after last year's fair and it could work as part of a set with "CatPack" although it was finished BEFORE last year's fair... so I don't know if that meets the deadline requirements. So that means frame two (or four?) pieces (which isn't cheap), pay $24 and at best, get $15 in premiums back? Hmmmm...

So what is left in my to-do pile? well, there are three Janet Perry classes to kit up: Stash Buster, Mini-Socks & Mittens, and Color Through the Ages (Renaissance). The third Stitch Guide lesson is also here and while I've read through it, it 's now time to do something about that class. And then there is "Kimono-Revisited" - I haven't touched it since I finished May's "lessons" and there are 13 sections awaiting stitches!

And in my stash --- Oh So Many Pieces calling my name. But I swear, until I get my act together, no more big complex ones! Or at least, none with deadlines! And maybe I should start planning early for next year's fair! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a GREAT finish!!! And I am jealous that your fair has so many categories!! THAT'S my kind of entry list, I could load up! I still think the entry fee is odd - but I guess the prizes have to come from somewhere, and the admission must not be enough...

    ReplyDelete