Thursday, March 5, 2015

Week Nine, March 5, 2015

Well, finally stitching again, and it seems that one of the primary causes of my losing my stitching mojo (the lack of stitching time availalble on our cruise to the South Pacific, not the nasty cold I caught coming home) is still in my mind. Notice the color scheme of Tropical Seas which seems to carry throughout this week's completions!

"Bride", the third mandala in the Roll Your Own series designed by Tracey Horner, is now complete!




I stitched it in the Tropical Seas color palette on Silkweaver's Iris Garden (32 ct Jobelin), next to it's predecessors, "Roll Your Own" and "Reloaded":



Now, onto the next installment, "Spawn"!

I also stitched on my January Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project piece:



It represents our two week cruise in French Polynesia, where the blue of the sky and water and the colorful tropical reef fish were the major influence on my life in January.... So I tried to portray a Polynesian atoll in beads and stitchery. I did the seaweeds in floss (although there was very little in the way of living seaweed in the lagoons where we were, there were a lot on the ocean sides of reefs) and the corals in seed beads. Mother of pearl buttons became the fish (we saw similar fish when there) and a strip of ivory gimp, studded with white, blue and turquoise seed beads represent the horizon (waves crashing over the reef, or the raised surface of a motu - aka one of the islands of raised reef which make up the atoll which surrounds a lagoon and separates it from the ocean proper). 


Next up, March. And some stitching on "Save the Stitches" and maybe even start the outline for one of the "Spawn". We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment