Friday, July 31, 2015

WIPocalypse 2015 - July 31 Blue Moon

August 3, 2015: Edited to add: This month's WIPocalypse topic is: "What makes you pick up a long-abandoned UFO rather than beginning a new piece?" My answer is: Practically nothing! I have some (four or five, I think)really long-standing WIPS/UFO pieces (decades, at least, not counting some backstiching on some needlepoint from even longer ago) and I just can't face them. My tastes have changed, mainly... So unless someone on a forum or blog I follow offers up a challenge to finish a certain number of UFOs in a certain period of time, I simply will not ever touch those again!

The question was changed and I didn't notice --- originally it was "It’s a blue moon today. Show us your favorite WIP that features a lot of blue!" And I answered in detail so I'm leaving it in the blog...That one was easy for meto answer because it seems like pretty nearly every big project I've been working on for the last several years is dominated by the same colors of blue, purple and green! Heck, once upon a time a long long time ago in Saudi Arabia, my quilting teacher told me that blue was probably my signature color as it appeared in nearly every quilt I pieced in her classes!


The two current WIPs in my project basket both have blue. "Save the Stitches" (which hasn't been touched since April 9, so if I'm not careful, it could turn into a UFO...) uses blue (and green) as the accent colors in several of the blocks. The thing is, the dominant color is the black blackwork stitchery so it isn't that obvious in photographs. But if you look closely at the blocks, especially the top right corner, you can see a little blue:



The "Roll Your Own" mandala series I'm working on, on the other hand, is blue, blue, blue. It's stitched on blue (and green and purple) overdyed fabric and uses several shades of blue (and green) floss inside the black mandala outlines:



And my crazy quilt pieces for 2015 have a lot of blue (and purple and green! LOL) in them as well:

Very fitting for a blue moon, don't you think?

In my last WIPOcalypse report, I said "my plan is to get caught up on Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal blocks (which means I have to cut and assemble a block for July and stitch on both June and July. Then, if time allows, I will probably take out "Roll Your Own Mandala" and get cracking on the second of the three "brats"."

Well, I finally lived up to my goals - almost! I 
  • finished the June Crazy quilt/Bead Journal block
  • assembled basic blocks for July, August and September's Crazy Quilt/Bead Journal Projects
  • finished the outline for "Jan" in the Roll Your Own mandala series and started on the colors (one down, eleven to go)
  • started stitching on the July block




So this next month? Well, let's continue as we started - July and August Crazy Quilt/Bead Journal blocks and finish "Jan" in Roll Your Own!

No comments:

Post a Comment