Saturday, August 4, 2012

2012: A Year of Challenges - week 31

This week, I worked on "Birds of a Feather" and have only a little it to go to finish the second color in the border: I also stitched the latest Janet Perry Stash Buster - a "Triangles Key Fob"

using a variegated thread (WDW 4119 seems to be the only one I own that even comes close to her specifications:
  • more than four colors, not in sequence (this thread only had three and they were in sequence, sadly)
  • Similar values in all colors (I suspect that white violates this requirement)
  • All colors equal in extent (pretty close, although the red seems to have been skimped on a bit)
  • Transitional areas short (this also seemed to be the case although the blue transition did seem to be more prevalent than the red)

But I was darned if I was going to buy one that fit all her requirements, especially since I would have had to do it online and wait WEEKS before it arrived. besides, this little 1" by 4" strip took a whole card of WDW and there was no way a stash buster was going cost me more than a couple of $$$!

I suspect I made a mis-judgement on the DMC 413 background because it really blurs in with that blue, but white wouldn't have worked and I doubt that black would have worked any better.

Maybe I'll try another strip with another skein of floss late in the month --- if the spirit moves me.

Also done this week was the "fabric toss" for the color palette challenge:

It's a lot more subdued than previous months but there are repeats of fabric ( the two darker browns, the black and the dark blue were used in previous palettes).

There are now 13 new sections for "Kimono  Revisited" and I have read through them and made notes where I thought necessary. Once I get Birds' border done, I will take that up to work on. I need to carefully select threads so my distributions of lights and darks (what few there are --- most of those threads seemed to have turned out to be medium values!) is better...

1 comment:

  1. I like the color you chose, even if it isn't exactly as called for :) This fabric toss is pretty subdued - but I know it'll be gorgeous when you put it together :) Good luck on the border & Kimono!

    ReplyDelete